Award Leader Training
What's it all about?
The Physical Recreation section is an opportunity for participants to take part in a physical activity in order to improve their health, fitness and wellbeing. This could be a team sport, a solo sport or a fitness programme. While some participants might enjoy taking part in a competitive activity, others might prefer non-competitive ones.
As with all Award Sections, the Physical Recreation Section must be completed at regular intervals over a set period (based on their Award level).
What are the criteria around the Physical Recreation Section?
- Participants will need to have a suitable Assessor who will mentor them throughout their Physical Recreation activity and upon conclusion write an Assessor’s report. For many activities the Assessor would most likely be the coach. For individual activities, e.g. for running, the Assessor should see the participant doing the activities, and/or do the activity with the participant on a regular basis (on average every 2-4 weeks).
- A realistic goal(s) should be set and should be achievable for the participant.
- Like all sections of the Award, choosing what physical activity to take part in is up to the participant. Participants should choose a Physical Recreation activity that interests them. This could be something entirely new, or something they are already be involved in.
- Seasonal sports can be used. If more than one physical activity is used, then these must be setup as separate activities under the Physical Recreation Section and a suitable Assessor must be chosen for each activity.
- School based sports can be used (e.g. netball) however Physical Education classes cannot be used.
Types of Activities?
- Ball sports – football, rugby, volleyball, basketball, cricket, golf, tennis, netball
- Athletics – running, triathlon, pole vault
- Water sports – surfing, kayaking, swimming, diving, rowing
- Martial arts – karate, judo, kickboxing, boxing, taekwondo, kendo
- Animal sports – horse riding, polo
- Other Activities including dancing, gymnastics, cycling, yoga
Ready to take the quiz?!
Click the link below to go to the Physical Recreation Section quiz, then log in using the username and password that were sent to you when you signed up for this online training. Forgotten your username or password? Email firstname.lastname@example.org